Sunday, March 23, 2008

Vacation


Now there are many different places to go on vacation. I married a girl whose ideal vacation is some remote third world country. She likes the new people, the interesting (a.k.a. crappy) food and extra stamps on the old passport. Some people leave the hustle and bustle of the city to relax all alone on a secluded beach, while others leave their boring small town lives to experience life in the big cities. Those vacations sound all fine and dandy, but my perfect vacation is something a little more off the wall and I went on one of these vacations just this weekend. I did a favor for someone in my ward and as payment he gave me four tickets to the Salt Lake Blaze (the local Arena Football franchise).


I know that not many people out there have had the pleasant opportunity to attend one of these glorious sporting events. I know this because, like I said, I have been and there really aren't that many people making it out to cheer on the Blaze. So, for all of you who haven't been to an ALF game let me paint you a picture of my wonderful experience.


I walked towards the Energy Solutions Arena on Friday night with high expectations. I figured this would be the white trash mother ship. I was not disappointed. Before I even got inside the door the I watched the group of fat, long haired, denim jacket wearing buffoons yell "hey baby why don't you come over here" to the 45 year old fake-baked chicks that were walking just in front of us. Yes! let the vacation begin.


We found our seats in the lower bowl and I began to enjoy the experience. The first thing that impressed me was the number of people that were sporting their Blaze jerseys. I had no idea that there were that many people who gave a crap about the Salt Lake Blaze. People were not just there to watch old, washed up, and semi-talented football players try and live the dream, people actually cared what the outcome of the game was.


Everything was perfect. One group of middle aged guys, and maybe some girls (I couldn't tell for sure), had everything that I was hoping to see. Each one had painted faces, black and orange shirts and a plastic cup overflowing with beer. One man in particular was 400+ pounds and was wearing a boa, a cape, and a top hat with flames. It was awesome, the air was just saturated with an aura of blue collar excitement.


As I left that night, after a not so disappointing 3 point loss, I was overcome with the pungent smell of second hand smoke. It seems that a 2 1/2 hour game is almost too much to ask of a nicotine addicted football fan. I walked away from the ESA and back to my car being thankful for the vacation, it was everything I could have ever wanted. I look back being especially glad that it was only a vacation and not an important and everyday part in my life.

11 comments:

Justin said...

I too once enjoyed a Blaze game. It was almost as exciting as the Monster Truck Rally that I went to at the (then) Delta Center. I would recommend that next time they are in town and you need a vacation.

Triz said...

Posts like this are why blogs were invented. Great post Jeris. I'm sorry we couldn't join you on the vacation, but it sounds like you enjoyed yourself. My recommendation for your next vacation? B&R Truck Stop in Vernal. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

Adam said...

Vacation. That's funny.

For future reference, though, it's not the "Salt Lake Blaze," it's the "Utah Blaze." Come on Jeris, this team is for the whole state to enjoy.

Did you pick me up a jersey?

Mike said...

Do I get free admittance if I have a fu manchu?

Ross said...

I was wondering why all the lights were off in Payson last Friday evening...

I bet the Blaze cheerleaders were loaded with tats.

Brett said...

I went to an LA Avengers arena football game with the boss last week and I have to say that I really enjoyed myself. I would describe it as a good mix between real football and the WWF.

Challis said...

Josh and I gave in and started the blogging world as well...we sort of feel like we sold out. Anyway, it's good to hear from you, and I'm glad that we can keep in touch. I put you're blog as a link on ours...hopefully that's okay.

Matt and Courtney Orme said...

Jaris and susanna- I am so glad you started a Blog. I am a big blogger and love to read others. especially people in our family so we can stay close. I love the story of the Blaze game. that sounded totally white trash awesome. Matt went to a game once and had a very similar experience with my dad and brothers. good times! well try to post often. We are interested in your very fun life. if you want to check ours out...www.basketballormes.blogspot.com

Triz said...

The worst thing about a blog is you have to keep posting.....

Sorry guys, but it's time for some new material. Your audience awaits.

Adam said...

Seriously. How long has your blog been up? 2 posts in 6 weeks is just not working for us.

Justin said...

Jeris,
I hope you attend to your firstborn child more than you have this blog.